Friday, July 30, 2004

'Day-tah, dah-tah... what's the difference?'

This is from one of my favorite exchanges in StarTrek:TNG, a series I used to watch constantly. It's among my favorite dialogue snippets because it expresses something I've tried hard to convey for years. A quick google tells me this is from an episode called "the Child."

PULASKI
Data,
(she says "Data" with
a short A)
look at this.

DATA
(he corrects her)
Data.

PULASKI
What?

DATA
My name. It is pronounced Data.

PULASKI
(with a wry smile)
Oh?

DATA
You called me Data.

PULASKI
What's the difference?

DATA
One is my name and the other is
not.


At birth, my parents dubbed me Anna Susan Quiara Maureen Hazlewood. I grew up called by the name Quiara. One glance shows quickly enough that it's not a particularly common name -- at least it wasn't in Ely, Nevada in the early 80s. I've heard more butcherings of my moniker than there are stars in the sky: "kwee-ra" (She-ra?), "queer-uh," "Keera," "Kwai-rah," and, my least favorite, "key-are-uh." This last one is no doubt the one most people who've only seen my name in print opt for, if they attempt a pronunciation at all. I dislike this version for 2 major reasons: It's in the "close but no cigar" category (much like the day-tah, dah-tah conundrum) and, secondly, after 22 years of wearing the name, I found out it's the more "correct" pronunciation anyway. (Apparently it's a French dialectical form of Clara, for the curious.)

My name, however, isn't pronounced that way. It's said "key-air-ah."

This is why, more than any other reason, I go by "Q." So much easier. Most people hit that pronunciation right off. Plus, my college roommate dubbed me that freshman year and it turns out it was better than what my current roommate, Laura, calls me ("ki-ki"), so I won't complain. Much.

Having had my name mangled for much of my life, I think I grew up with an appreciation for the importance of a proper name. I try my best to pronounce the names of people in the ways they've said them to me. And I'm resolved to become better at remember names. (I've been studying our church directory to put more names with more faces.)

A name is something dumped on a child at birth, assumed that s/he will one day grow into it. A surname, in particular, comes also complete with the traces of things done in that name before the child was ever born. And the things the child will do with his or her name will impact the next generation to wear it as well. Names are important things.

When God called Abram, he changed his name. As he did with Jacob. And he called them all and brought about a new nation all for the sake of his name. We are saved in his name, hated because of his name, things we do "in his name" have eternal consequence. Names are important things.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.



Revelation 2:17

15 comments:

Mae said...

The name game, though my name isn't anywhere near as difficult to pronounce, it's always been a big deal ... I've been thinking on this blog topic for quite a while. So I'll sit on it a bit more and let out a big hoot n' hollar later. Interesting stuff, our most identifiable presence gets constantly butchered and we either correct the offeneders or go on. Hmmm, the brain it is a ticking!

Anonymous said...

"Pride goes before a fall and a haughty spirit before destruction.

As I was reading this I was thinking to myself... I say Q's name right not like those other losers... Ha! I don't! I pronounced it "Key-are-ah". I do think "Key-air-ah" sounds prettier but I think I will stick with Q. Kevin will keep praying for "Key-are-ah" at Church though (sorry) he has a hard time with remembering names as it is.

I have always loved names and my name in particular. I like the spelling of it and the not so commonness of it. I like all the pet names you can do with it. I do not like the mis-spelling of it though. I really shouldn't be so sensitive about that especially as it isn't spelled the 'usual' way but I am. I get especially annoyed when people I love and who love me spell it wrong - I feel like they don't care enough to know how to spell my name. But I married a man who can't spell. 7 times out of 10 he spells my name wrong and we have been married 10 years. I have learnt to live with it and love him despite his horrid spelling.

In our Church Tradition we take on a Baptismal name. I took on St. Mary of Bethany because it always blew me away that she thought it was extremely important to sit and listen to Jesus. Kevin took on Simon Peter because he was a trades man who served Jesus and admitted that sometimes Paul's words were hard to understand.

I have always loved this verse in Psalms "He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name." If He calls the stars by names He must know mine.

Pretty random thoughts thanks for letting me share.

Tabatha

Candy said...

Q - I love this post. Imagine going through life named Candy. (Actually Candice but I have absolutely never gone by that.) I have heard it all,i.e, "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker." Then, unfortunately, many years ago there was a famous stripper who went by "Candy Bar". She did not make my life any easier. I have a twin brother named Randy, a niece named Brandy, another named Mandy and a cousin named Sandy. It's been brutal. Funny thing is to this day I think of myself only as Candy. I don't really think of myself as identified with a surname. Isn't that wierd? In my mind it's just candy. And I must say, that is just dandy. oh man, forgive me. I couldn't help myself - I think it's genetic.

SG said...

I knew a girl named Cinnamon Crisp, no really, brandon knows her too! I think one of our responsibilities to our children is to give them a good name...HOWEVER there are some things we can not help. I really love my husband. The fact that his last name is GROSZ and his family pronounces it like groase, is not my fault. When my kids get ribbed for their last name and I know they will, I will just have to tell them it stinks but it is ours. My maiden name was Elliot.. and thanks to ET than was no fun. And try spelling STEPHNAIE at age 4. Thus my kids have 5 letter first names! I just don't worry about my name of how people mangle it, it's all good, or should I say grosz!

Anonymous said...

Q,
Were you in B'ham today? We saw a van from Sycamore View.
SG - I wanted to name a doll "Stephanie" when I was younger and my mother told my that she'd never be able to spell it so... I chose something else.

Clarissa said...

I always, in my head, pronounced your handle as "kwee-are-uh". So I apologize for being wrong on TWO syl-LAH-buhls. My name is frequently subject to mispronunciation as well. Correct? "Cluh-ris-suh". Some of the ones I've heard: "Clair-is-sa", "Clair-ee-sa", "Clo-ree-sa". And I've been called Clarice, along with many other purposeful mispronunciations which are actually different names altogether, like Clarabelle, Clorox, Clairol, Clarion, etcetera. And of course, they all think their ideas are original. I'm glad they've had their fun.

SG said...

OK I just spelled my own name wrong, in caps even! I am linguistically challenged for sure, even in my own language. Has anyone ever thought how easy English would be if we stuck to phonetically spelling words... oshould I say Fun-e-tik-lee? :-) If you are listening Mr. Blogger please add a spell check to comments!
STEPHANIE GROSZ

Mae said...

Did I mention that my last name is Hale? When I did my student teaching, my sixth graders had too much fun with all of the things they could get away with saying. Of course, I was a bot too lenient on them b/c I made fun of my mom-in-law years ago too (she's a hi-school Spanish teacher). We had a guidance counselor who liked to say, "Take this (a hall pass)and go to Hale." My husband and I kidd about naming our children Raisin, Goada, and Benta. It's a lot of fun to joke about, if someone else says things like that in a mean spirited way ~ that's a different story! Then it's "on like neck bone"!

SG said...

Q~I feel my idle chit chat is dimishing the IQ of your blog, but I can't resist. I always wanted to name my little girl Avery. Then one day I wrote it out and to my horror all I could see was "A very Grosz". Needless to say none of our children will be named Avery. The paper are late this morning....

Donna G said...

Well, it could be worse. My maiden name was Tucker. One fateful student council trip with c.b. radios my handle was "mother tucker". Need I say more.

I tried to name my children easy names, who knew everyone would want to spell Derek with extra r's and a c and an i, and that they would try to make Diana, Deeanna, or Diana or Dianna. I try to make the effort to get names right and I appreciate you giving us the proper pronunciation of yours, I was probably in the kwee catagory...

Serena Voss said...

Q,

Yup, I am a STNG fan, too! Loved that episode.

Paramutations of my name were Sardinia, Saranwrap and Serendipity. Actually, these were nicknames given to me during jr hi. I liked Serendipity. : )

Anonymous said...

My friend actually sent me a link to this 'Day-tah, dah-tah... what's the difference?' blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing about create a free gift certificate specifically. And I found this great site create a free gift certificate and was wondering if anyone here also thinks it has a good concept offering create a free gift certificate

I am bookmarking this to check back in a couple of days, please let me know what you think! If anybody knows of any sites that are similar please let me know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

HI there....I came across your 'Day-tah, dah-tah... what's the difference?' blog and was wondering if you could help point me an some direction because all I keep finding is free blank gift certificate related stuff and I am very interested in it but not finding anything about the subject. I am looking for free blank gift certificate...although I did come across this site free blank gift certificate and it was actually pretty cool. I was hoping to get some feedback and I think you have a great blog here and I will be bookmarking it to check back in a couple of days.

Anyways, let me know if you have any other resources related to free blank gift certificate specifically and post it here. I will much appreciate it...thanks!

Anonymous said...

My friend actually sent me a link to this 'Day-tah, dah-tah... what's the difference?' blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing about free gift certificate specifically. And I found this great site free gift certificate and was wondering if anyone here also thinks it has a good concept offering free gift certificate.

I am bookmarking this to check back in a couple of days, please let me know what you think! If anybody knows of any sites that are similar please let me know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My friend actually sent me a link to this 'Day-tah, dah-tah... what's the difference?' blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing about free blank gift certificate specifically. And I found this great site free blank gift certificate and was wondering if anyone here also thinks it has a good concept offering free blank gift certificate.

I am bookmarking this to check back in a couple of days, please let me know what you think! If anybody knows of any sites that are similar please let me know. Thanks!