Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The Safety of Jabez

I realize that talking about The Prayer of Jabez is somewhat passe. I think that there is, though, a valuable lesson in it -- and it's not exactly what Bruce Wilkinson had in mind.

Wilkinson derives his entire (though admittedly short) book from two verses in 1 Chronicles.

Jabez was honored more than his brothers; and his mother named him Jabez, saying, "Because I bore him in pain." Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, "Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from hurt and harm!" And God granted what he asked.

1 Chronicles 9:9-10


From this, Mr. Wilkinson has extracted a theology promoting this passage as a positive, effective prayer. I'm not so sure it is, even though God answered it. What Jabez prayed was, "God, make me safe." And God did. And we never hear from Jabez again because in granting that prayer, Jabez was rendered unusable.

When I look at the Bible and see the people God used most, the people whose names are recorded as examples of faith, I don't see people whom God has kept "safe." Preserved them, yes. Brought them through trials, of course. Kept them safe? Hardly.

I don't think "safe" is exactly the word I'd use to describe the travels of Abraham and of Sarah, away from his father's home, his family's gods, through hostile territories, growing older by day, clinging to the promise of a son, a nation, and following the voice of a God previously unknown to him.

I can't think that Moses was particularly "safe" in going back to Egypt, a country he fled 40 years ago as a murderer. I can't think it was "safe" for him to confront Pharoah and to demand the release of Israel.

It wasn't "safe" for Mary to bear a child while unwed -- and less so for her to claim the child is the son of God. It wasn't the "safe" thing to do for Joseph to marry her. It wasn't "safe" for John to preach in the wilderness -- or, indeed, for Christ to come at all. The list goes on: Paul, Peter, Stephen, John. God doesn't call us to safety. He calls us to do his will in a world hostile to it. He calls us to die.

Ultimately we are saved, not "safe."

2 comments:

Matt Elliott said...

Fantastic post. Much more insightful than the book, too! :-)

Anonymous said...

I have just discoverd your blog. I am inspired and uplifted by your insights and appreciate your sharing. It is hard to be a woman in the c of C and feel like you have a voice. You are obviously very spiritual and tuned into the Spirit working in your life. Keep it up.