Monday, May 31, 2004

Philippians 4:8

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.


There's just not a lot of that on TV. I'm thinking specifically of Law & Order: SVU, a show in which there are typically on about three plots, most of which involve rape or other sex crimes and usually of, against, or even by a minor. The more sordid, the more it sells. I happened to see part of an episode last night, while looking for something less offensive than the local news.

But dawns on me that if people didn't watch it, it wouldn't be on. Networks don't continue to market things that aren't selling -- so obviously enough people are watching it to keep it on the air. My question is not only 'who,' but also why?

Really, what's attractive in seeing, as in this show, repeat depictions of sex crimes, particularly those against minors? Why do people watch this? It can't be enjoyable -- and if it is, that's a different problem entirely. It can't be said it's for the vindication of seeing the bad guy get it in the end because there either isn't a clear bad guy or s/he doesn't actually get caught or stopped. And even if he or she actually is caught, these are not even the real bad guys! You turn off the TV, the bad guy disappears!

I'm not saying everyone ought to become ostriches and stick their heads in the sand, denying that things like this happen. That's hardly a responsible attitude. I just don't think they should be prime time entertainment. And the networks are marketing tragedy that they can't sell without a market. So there's a huge population out there apparently getting a vicarious thrill out of watching things like this. And I have to wonder why?

I don't think that TV "causes" crime, but I think it can inspire it. I think it can promote it as much as anything else. It can flesh out ideas that otherwise may never have seen the light of day. People are responsible for their own actions, but sometimes I have to wonder where some of them get the ideas.

I'm not a Michael Moore fan and I hate the movie Bowling for Columbine, but I do agree that the media is a fearmongering enterprise -- and the rest of TV caters to the darker sides of humanity, making entertaining or even acceptable those things that used to make us cringe or cry in outrage.

They acted shamefully, they committed abomination; yet they were not ashamed, they did not know how to blush. Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; at the time that I punish them, they shall be overthrown, says the Lord.

Jeremiah 6:15


We're not blushing. And I can't help but think it will be our overthrowing.

2 comments:

Candy said...

I couldn't agree more. We have long lost the ability to blush or even the inclination to do so. And I do see this as our overthrowing. How long can a society allow itself to fall headlong into the pit before it reaches bottom? Only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

Hello Blogger...I have been studying Philippians 4:8 and your blog has been very helpful. I am interested in all the related issues regarding cerebral palsy association saskatoon. Thanks for the info. Best of luck.