Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Mea Culpa (Latin for "Dude, my bad!")

Too often we - and here, I mean "I" - use the excuse of perspective to keep from taking a stand. No, not everything is simply black and white and people don't see all things in the same ways, but too often that caveat becomes an excuse and a cover for my cowardice or my resistance to stand behind what I profess to believe.

Either the truth (the truth that saves, redeems and sets us free) is knowable or it's not. Either things are true or they aren't. If it is not and if they are not, then none of it matters, God is wasting our time or we are wasting his.

If we believe that we can only know a fraction and that that fraction is infinitely divided along the spectrum of perspective then we are indulging in a spectacle of chaos and our time would be better spent elsewhere on other matters.

And it's nothing new: the double-mindedness has been self-evident throughout the ages, the cross of Christ being subjugated to the altar of tolerance. Either I believe or I don't.

I cannot make anyone else believe. I won't be suddenly shoving it down the throats of others, but I won't apologize for what I do believe. I don't expect others to back down and I won't either. I won't suddenly cease to love and admire those who disagree.

I just have to decide whom it bothers me to disappoint more: them? Or Him?

No comments: