Friday, November 05, 2004

I had a good conversation with Dr. Alan Black this afternoon re: this whole "women in the church" thing.

No, we didn't come to any sort of conclusion. It was good if for no other reason (though there are plenty of other reasons) than that it forced me to better articulate my questions. I am indebted to Dr. Fortner for proposing and arranging the meeting.

I've got a lot of reading to do and a lot more thinking and praying. But it was good. It was good to have a cordial discussion feeling free to ask questions, knowing I am also free to disagree with the proffered answers and not be thought belligerent or simply stubborn -- and not to be automatically assumed to be a left-of-center heretical feminazi. That was, I think, my favorite part. I enjoyed very much talking to Dr. Black and hope to do so again in the future. I've respected him for quite some time but have never had opportunity just to sit and talk with him. It was nice.

I also had a double dose of Fortner today which is good for me theologically, insofar as it remains a discussion of our thinking about God. It's a little hard in that it reminds me of my love for the subject and the degree to which I'd hoped to pursue it. Bittersweet, I guess.

2 comments:

Travis said...

I have had many similar conversations with Dr. Black, not of the Alan variety, but of the Mark variety--his brother down I-40 at Lipscomb. Dr. Mark Black has blessed me many, many times with frank, honest discussions about church, faith, and many other things. Praise God for the Black guys.

Mandy said...

A DOUBLE DOSE of Fortner... lucky you! :) mr