Monday, September 27, 2004

This whole question of whether to pursue theology (academically and full-time, anyway) or whether to take this other trek - it's been a struggle. It's a struggle between what I want personally (either to sit in an ivory tower dissecting Hebrew words or teaching others to do the same, an academic 'ministry' since it's highly unlikely I'll be asked to preach) or this: counseling.

I can either spend the rest of my life fighting for a theological ideal I don't think will be realized in my lifetime or I can spend my life trying to help others heal. I guess it comes down to whether I really want to do ministry - or whether I only wanted to prove a point.

I want to do this. It was a hard decision to make and a lot of people might not understand why. I never just wanted to prove a point. I only ever wanted to become a minister in order to minister. I didn't know then that it'd just become a fight. I didn't know that exercising the talents God had given me would land me solidly on the side of the heretics.

Over the last several years, the same desire to minister hasn't died. And God has a sense of humor. God has apparently taken something I hate deeply and made it an avenue of ministry, a way to serve. The whole thing is an answer to years of prayer, though in the great tradition he's established over many millennia of interacting with his people, he didn't answer it in a way that I'd hoped or wanted.

If someone has been badly burned, how is he expected to react when around fire? Or when in the presence of another burn victim? But with proper training, he may ultimately become the best one to treat the burns of another. He remembers not only what it felt like to be burned, but how it hurt to start heal. And he has insight to obstacles that reach far beyond the initial healing. He knows what it's like to live with the scars and to flinch around flame. He understands.

Anyway, it's beyond the quiet corner thinking and the sounding board stage: this is what I'm going to do, Lord willing (and it seems he is). And sadly, there's a growing market for the area of social psychology in which I'll be specializing.

I'm a theologian by nature; it seems I probably always will be, since theology is literally thinking about God. This way, I can put that thinking into practice. Maybe I'll get the opportunity to do some good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Q:
Thanks for your willingness to share your journey. Even though I'm staying in the same general field, I experienced some of those same feelings when deciding that the time wasn't right for us to be in Africa. God certainly does have a sense of humor.

On another note, I want to beg you to not forget your roots. We in the C of C need people to ask the difficult questions, and help our churches and our members grow through the struggle to answer them. Recently, an acquaintance (it would be unfair to both of us to call him a "friend" although we knew each other a little more than that), left our fellowship because of what he considered our stance on homosexuality. He instead found a church here in town that not only accepted gays and lesbians, but affirmed their relationships before God. Before he found that church, he struggled with his sexuality, and wanted to be different. But, in leaving our group, he has lost all power to influence change for the better. As an outsider, he'll never have the impact on us that he would have had, had he chosen to stay and "fight the fight" (but in much less antagonistic terms). How much could we all have changed and grown from living alongside this brother while he struggled with his sexual identity....

Well, the point of all that is, (and I know you wouldn't do this), don't leave us just because there are other options available. We need part-time heretics to challenge us if we ever want to change.

God bless your new career path....and keep on bloggin'

Jen said...

Q, thanks for being open with us and welcome to the wide world of psychology (before I got my MA in Christian Ministry I took an extra semester of undergrad and completed a BA in psychology).

Know that there are others struggling with the same or very similar questions and tensions. Otheres who feel called to ministry but aren't sure it "will be realized in my (our) lifetime." Three women friends and myself all completed our MAs this last year (some were slower in taking the written exam - Sarah) only two of us are currently in ministry. Neither of us is full time (in fact I am having to raise support which is its own challenge) and the others are looknig for another way to serve as options in the church are not available.

Know whatever happens you are not the only one, even when you feel like you are. Get connected to the women's minstry network.
Jen

Mick Wright said...

Much of what I was trying to say tonight at SVC, you have written here. People don't understand. That's not a complaint, they just don't, so I don't bother listening. All I care about is using my SHAPE and talents to achieve God's goals in the best way possible. If there are multiple ways, God will be with me no matter what I choose. So then it's also a matter of preference, and weighing my values. Do I want to abandon my easy life, do hard work, and make things difficult for my family? No, unless my values say that the ultimate goal behind those difficulties are worth more than what I'm doing now. Anyway, good luck with school. Go with God.